Map of Bulgaria

Map of Bulgaria
Map of Bulgaria

Friday, July 18, 2014

What We've Been Up To: Part 3 - Getting Ready

Part three of what we've been up to...


Preparing the house for R and S

Since M and S will share a room and E and R will share a room, we've been working to make space for R and S. A shelf on a bookshelf. Half a closet. Dresser drawers. We don't have a ton of space to give them, but I want R and S to feel like they belong here, not that they are long-term guests. 

We've put pictures of R and S wherever we have pictures of M and E, and I've tried to make everything recent photos rather than baby photos. We still have some de-cluttering work to do and some work in the playroom, but I think things are coming together pretty nicely. R and S have seen their beds a couple of times on our Skype calls and they seem happy and excited. I'm also going to make some movies of the house that we can watch while we're in Bulgaria.


Preparing our hearts for R and S


As I said in the last post, it's going to be really hard at first. We know that, and part of me isn't looking forward to it, but it's all part of the process. I feel like I've loved these kids as my own since I first saw their pictures and first heard about them, so that will make it easier. I can't explain it; I think it's a work of God - he put the desire on our hearts to adopt and is faithful to fill our hearts with the love, grace, and patience we'll need.

Please pray for us, especially while we're in Bulgaria and when we are first home with them. All adoption experts recommend "cocooning" with the children for the first couple months at home. That means we won't be going a lot of places with them - mostly staying home and building trust with them by meeting their basic needs and showing them love. 

So, be patient if it is months until you meet the children - it's in their best interest. If you are wondering how you can help, feel free to contact me about bringing a meal, going to the store for us, or taking M and E to do something fun or to one of their activities. If you are out of town, or can't do those things, just pray for us!

The process of bringing these children home is kind of like giving birth. You prepare a lot of things ahead of time, but you really don't know what you are getting in to, or what you might need, until the children are here. We're as ready as we can be.

2 comments:

  1. Hello, I just saw your story on WDBJ7, read your blog and got so excited that a local family is adopting children from my country. I am native Bulgarian, who lives in the USA since 2004. Actually my kids (3yr and 5 yr old) and I just returned from a two months long vacation in Bulgaria....I just wanted to say congratulation and if I could help with anything let me know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow - that's great! We would love to meet you sometime. We were able to get home late Thursday, so the next few weeks will be all about getting everyone adjusted to life in a new home and the time change. We would like the children to continue to understand and appreciate their Bulgarian heritage.

      I don't see a way to find your e-mail address and I hesitate to publish mine in a comment since it could result in spam. But, you can find me on facebook at Lisa Herbert Vance. Thanks for reaching out!! There are actually a few families in this area who have adopted from Bulgaria. Three others that I know personally and one other that I read about in the paper.

      Delete