Map of Bulgaria

Map of Bulgaria
Map of Bulgaria

Friday, February 20, 2015

Random Thoughts 2.20.2015

It's been one of those weeks...the kids have been out of school all week, so I haven't had much time to think, much less put coherent words together to make a blog post. Actually, even when the kids are in school, it can be hard! So, I'm going to copy another blogger I like and just throw out some random thoughts, since I know many of our readers supported us in many ways (prayer, financial, etc.) through the adoption and want to know how everyone is doing. So, here goes...

1. One concern we've had is how we would handle the kids in the summer. I've read over and over that adopted kids thrive on routine and that summers can be difficult. One thing this week out of school has shown me is that it won't be as bad as I thought! Yes, it's hard and tiring, and I will need to create structure for the day when it doesn't exist, but we did better than expected this week.

2. Of course, it could all fall apart in the next five minutes.

3. The kids all had more electronics than I would like this week. At least the little ones were watching PBS and it was neat to hear them talking back to the TV during shows like Super Why, but still...I'll need to plan more to make sure the summer isn't one big electronic fest.

4. If I want to enroll the kids in some summer programs, I need to get a job! Unfortunately, the county does not offer summer school for young children. It's all driven by SOLs, etc. 

5. Naomi was diagnosed by her OT with Sensory Processing Disorder. It wasn't a surprise after what the OT said during her evaluation, but it does mean some challenges for her (and us). Luckily, the OT she worked with was very good and we just set up some sessions with her. Please pray our insurance will cover it - most don't with this diagnosis.

6. Naomi has a child study meeting next week. The whole IEP arena is new to us, so I feel a little unprepared to advocate for her, but her school has been amazing so far, so I'm trusting they will continue to support her.

7. Super Nanny is coming next week. Not really, but that's the name Todd has given a counselor who is coming to see us. She specializes in internationally adopted children and is going to videotape our interactions with the kids, hence the Super Nanny name. We are struggling with the best way to respond to some of their behaviors and help them. We could keep stumbling through and wait awhile, but we want to make home life more pleasant for every one, so we're getting some help.

8. Todd has made a dinner reservation for tomorrow night and his mom is coming in town to watch the kids. It's a surprise - I love surprises - and I'm hoping the weather cooperates.

No comments:

Post a Comment